best paan ever - on friendship day - dry fruits, gulkand and rose petals with betel leaf at George Cafe, Pune on 7th August

One of the best paanwala magicians can be found outside the age-old George Cafe, at Pune Camp. He must be as old as the George Cafe. My grandfather has frequented the place, and so has my father and his brother. Its one of my favorite places and my daughter loves their biryani. But this post is not about George Cafe. This post is about the paanwala outside the cafe. I have known him for the past twenty years and more, and both the brothers are now quite familiar with me, my preferences for their various types of paans, and the package that I take back home to relish slowly. 

7th August was Friendship Day and it was a magical sight at the paan shop. The elder brother had made his usual favorite, paan with supari and all his splendid conjugations, and dry fruits, gulkand (jam-like mix with rose petals), and other goodies. But, since it was friendship day, he had decided to add actual fresh rose petals, and topped off the finish by pinning the paan with an actual rose. It seemed very innovative. I asked him if I could take a photograph, and he answered, "अररे मरवाओगे क्या? मै इतना मीठा भी नहीं हुं!!!" (= Oh... do you want to get me killed? I am not so sweet - meaning - you will destroy my reputation for being a toughie!)

But, he was quite sweet about it and allowed me to take a series of photographs. This particular one was quite good, an he gifted the paan to me. I had another series after that, especially a paan with butter scotch  toffee and dry fruits and chocolate wedges, and the regular ones. Got a big packet to take back home and to indulge in over the night. What the... it was friendship day, after all... who am I to argue with on that day? I had to get all those paans for me, for I am usually my best friend.